Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Rubber Bands, Counting, and Singing

Matti has just had an explosion of words and putting them together lately. It is amazing what she picks up on every day. We will definitely have to start watching what we say around her. She heard me say "Oh Crap" and directly after I said that she said plain as day "Oh Crap". Her father said "Oh Great" sarcastically of course and Matti said "Oh Great" right after she heard him. She is definitely like a little sponge right now. Soaking up and taking in everything around her. Even though she still mumbles a lot of baby gibberish she actually thinks she is having an adult conversation with us which is very interesting.
She has a new favorite after school show she likes to watch on Nick Jr. Zooboomafoo. She calls it Zoobafoo.... It is an interesting show that talks a lot about animals and how they live. It is hard for me to believe that it interests her at all because it is not a cartoon. Her only favorite cartoon is the Little Einsteins on Disney and let me tell you after the show she can tell you all about it. Just listening to her describe what they did and how it happened it just hallarious.
For the past few weeks Matti has really started using numbers. She has a book with numbers and items to count which we look at every night. She counts as follows: two, three, four, twelve, fourteen-never in order, but it is funny to watch her point and think she is counting. She usually cheers at the end and is very proud of herself.
Also she really likes for us to sing songs with her each night. I am amazed at all the nursery rhymes and songs she knows. She has little hand signs she uses for all of them we sing. Daycare tuition is starting to pay off after all. I can really tell that they work with her each day. She surprises me with something new each day. Her favorite song right now is Ring around the rosey... she actually will fall down at the end.
I went to pick Matti up from school today and noticed a deep red line along her wrist. Before I could ask the teacher said that apparently Matti had taken the little rubber band I put in her hair today and put it around her wrist during nap time. Once the teacher noticed it she took it off, but at that point it was already red and made a place. I have to really keep my eye on her at home, but refuse to cut her hair so we will have to come up with another way to keep her BIG hair out of her face. She will not wear head bands and cannot wear bows to school because the smaller kids like to pull them out, including Matti so I am not sure what to do about it. I will come up with something I am sure. I am definitely not cutting her hair.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

LOL at the "oh crap" thing -- I did that the other day too, and Carter repeated it immediately. He hasn't said it since, so I'm hoping he just forgot. Heh.

I love the counting! Maybe it's just because of what I do and how much I've read about the development of number concepts, but I think I'm more excited about kids learning to count and develop number sense than just about anything else!

Debby said...

He at least it was not something worse....ha ha...Love you!! Auntie Deb